[mnemosyne-proj-users] Mnemosyne window is blank
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-01 12:41:55 UTC
I recently got a new computer and when I installed Mnemosyne on it, it won't work. It starts up with no errors, but the whole window is just blank white. Even the menu bar is missing. If I point carefully and guess the right place, I can click on things. Like, if it point just inside the upper left of the window I can get the File menu to pop up. But the whole Mnemosyne window is just white.

Both this and my old computer are running Windows 10. But the new one is running a different version of Windows 10, I think. Several OS things look work differently. I don't know how to identify the exact version.

I tried installing older versions of Mnemosyne, but that didn't make any difference. I also tried running it in different compatibility modes, but that didn't help. At the install page it advises that you make sure that your video drivers and windows updates are all up to date. I have checked that and they are.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas how to fix it? If I don't figure this out I'm going to start forgetting everything.
Peter Bienstman
2018-08-01 12:50:27 UTC

On the download page where you read about graphics drivers, there's also more things you can try, specifically a set of command line arguments.

You can also try the preview of the next version, which has updated GUI libraries:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxga9qxfwfgddon/mnemosyne-2.6.1-RC2-setup.exe?dl=0

Good luck!

Peter

2018-08-01 13:31:02 UTC
I forgot to mention that I tried the command line to no avail. I pulled the RC version you mentioned and it was no different. I feel like this is more a windows issue than an Mnemosyne one. But I have no idea what else to try. Has anyone else seen this with the most recent version of Windows or on a new PC?
Peter Bienstman
2018-08-01 13:42:42 UTC
The only situations where I've seen anything like this were fixed by that command line switch, so I'm afraid I'm out of options here. It looks indeed like some interplay between the Windows Graphics subsystem and the Qt GUI toolkit we use...

2018-08-02 13:46:24 UTC
I was able to find some alternate graphics drivers and after I installed them I could see everything. Thanks for the help.
Peter Bienstman
2018-08-02 13:59:09 UTC
Excellent!