Application appears blurry on a new device
g***@gmail.com
2018-08-23 07:37:23 UTC
Hi all,

I've been using Mnemosyne 2.4.1 for a little over a year on a Macbook Air; I just recently moved to a MacBook Pro with a higher screen resolution and brought all my data along. Every other application works as normal, but all text and graphics on Mnemosyne appear blurry and low-res for some reason (even the close/minimize/maximize buttons on the top left of the window). I'm not sure why this is; it doesn't seem to change when I quit and reopen the application.

Both laptops (old and new) are running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.1; the screen changed from 1440x900 to 2800x1800.
2018-08-23 07:39:37 UTC

For devices with these high-res displays, you need to upgrade to a more recent version of Mnemosyne.

Drake Thomas
2018-08-23 07:57:55 UTC
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I downloaded Mnemosyne 2.6.1, but I’m seeing the same thing in the new version. Here’s a screenshot of the about page, with blurred text.
Hi,
2018-08-23 08:22:48 UTC

The screenshot doesn’t look blurry to me, but that doesn’t mean a lot ☺

Perhaps you can try adding the command line option --disable-high-dpi-scaling

This page also talks about making changes to Info.plist: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html . I’ve put our Mac packager Devin in CC, as I don’t have access to an OSX device and have no idea about info.plist.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I downloaded Mnemosyne 2.6.1, but I’m seeing the same thing in the new version. Here’s a screenshot of the about page, with blurred text.

Hi,

Devin Howard
2018-09-09 23:38:41 UTC
Unfortunately I'm also not much help, since I don't have a Retina display.
It should be possible to right-click the Mnemosyne application bundle,
select Show Package Contents, and then edit the Info.plist file inside the
Contents directory to update as described in the QT documentation Peter
provided. If it works, let me know. In theory I should update the
Info.plist as part of the next version of Mnemosyne so this fix is applied
to all users, but I haven't found a way to test the changes yet.
Hi,
The screenshot doesn’t look blurry to me, but that doesn’t mean a lot J
Perhaps you can try adding the command line option
--disable-high-dpi-scaling
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html . I’ve put our Mac packager Devin in
CC, as I don’t have access to an OSX device and have no idea about
info.plist.
I've been using Mnemosyne 2.4.1 for a little over a year on a Macbook Air;
I just recently moved to a MacBook Pro with a higher screen resolution and
brought all my data along. Every other application works as normal, but all
text and graphics on Mnemosyne appear blurry and low-res for some reason
(even the close/minimize/maximize buttons on the top left of the window).
I'm not sure why this is; it doesn't seem to change when I quit and reopen
the application.
Both laptops (old and new) are running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.1;
the screen changed from 1440x900 to 2800x1800.
.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/a63dee3b3d874e45a5856d4f0f7fa165%40xmail101.UGent.be
.
.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/7ca69aca-91f8-4739-b47d-e927550163f6%40Spark
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/7ca69aca-91f8-4739-b47d-e927550163f6%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Drake Thomas
2018-09-10 02:34:00 UTC
Hi Devin,

I added the lines in that link to the Info.plist file, saved, quit Mnemosyne, and reopened, and didn’t see any change.

(I was worried that maybe I wasn’t seeing any change because I hadn’t done a hard enough reset for the contents of Info.plist to be rechecked, so I also tried saving Info.plist as a blank text file. This made Mnemosyne stop working, so it seems that changes I made to the file were in fact being propagated to the application - they just didn’t affect the display.)
Sent: 23 August 2018 09:58
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the speedy reply! I downloaded Mnemosyne 2.6.1, but I’m seeing the same thing in the new version. Here’s a screenshot of the about page, with blurred text.
Hi,