Manual sync between OSs
j***@gmail.com
2018-06-28 16:54:50 UTC
Hi Peter,

I currently run manual syncs between my Ubuntu machines without any issue by mirroring ~/.local/share/mnemosyne.

I'm wondering whether I can extend this to my android device without breaking anything. The files and folder structures look very similar except that android appears to have additional files called: .nomedia; config.db; config.py; machine.id; test.txt and has NO log.txt.

Using the inbuilt sync function is not practical as sometimes I am sync'ing my phone to my laptop and sometimes to my desktop which have different IPs.

I'm also mindful of any impacts to the stats server.

Thanks,

Damian.
2018-06-29 09:04:31 UTC

Android actually runs the same python code as the desktop version.

I'm a bit curious as to why you'd want to sync to two different servers, as this seems like a recipe for disaster :-)

2018-06-29 10:01:27 UTC
Post by Peter Bienstman
Hi,
[...]

I'm not actually sync'ing to different servers, rather mirroring the Mnemosyne directory across 3 devices. I only use it in one place at a time, with the latest then duplicated to the other two devices.

Its been working fine this way for quite some time between two computers. Now I thought I'd throw my phone into the mix too! Presently, to keep my phone in the loop with the inbuilt sync, I've got to change the sync server IP settings depending if I'm on my desktop or laptop which isn't very practical.

I hope there's some method in my madness!!!

If Android uses the same code, why are some of the files different between my Ubuntu Mnemosyne directory and my Android Mnemosyne directory? I'm happy to give it a go as I have backups in place but I was just fearful that machine.id on the phone might cause dramas with the stat server as I can't see this file on the Ubuntu install.

Thanks,

Damian.
2018-06-29 10:05:39 UTC

The main difference in directory layout is caused by the fact that Android does not upload statistics, and also by the fact that under Unix, Mnemosyne's files are split over two directories (also .config/Mnemosyne).

2018-07-23 15:00:06 UTC
Post by Peter Bienstman
Hi,
[...]
Great, thanks Peter. Hadn't realised .config/Mnemosyne was also in the mix.

Although it turned out to be somewhat more complex than what I had originally thought, I think I've managed to get a workable solution where my phone, desktop and laptop automatically sync with one-another! :)

Thanks again for your input.