Sync server NOT running
Stuart Bisset
2018-05-02 16:47:16 UTC
Hi I have installed mnemosyne 2.6 on windows 10 and would like to use this
machine as a server and sync to an android phone and a win 10 laptop. I
can't seem to get the sync working though. When I go into...

Settings > Configure Mnemosyne > Servers

...there is a message saying "Sync server is NOT running" in the dialog box.

I have tried to search this user group and online to find answers but can't
seem to find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many Thanks in advance

2018-05-02 17:13:20 UTC

I assume that you ticked the checkbox to enable the sync server?

________________________________

Stuart Bisset
2018-05-02 17:25:47 UTC
HI Peter

I checked 3 boxes:

- Allow other devices to sync with this computer
- Check for changed media files on server
- allow remote review through a web browser

Regards

STuart
Post by Peter Bienstman
Hi,
I assume that you ticked the checkbox to enable the sync server?
------------------------------
*Sent:* Wednesday, 2 May 2018 19:12
*To:* mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi I have installed mnemosyne 2.6 on windows 10 and would like to use this
machine as a server and sync to an android phone and a win 10 laptop. I
can't seem to get the sync working though. When I go into...
Settings > Configure Mnemosyne > Servers
...there is a message saying "Sync server is NOT running" in the dialog box.
I have tried to search this user group and online to find answers but
can't seem to find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction
please.
Many Thanks in advance
<javascript:>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/bb0c3b78-977e-4267-ab62-473e3f95ef5a%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/bb0c3b78-977e-4267-ab62-473e3f95ef5a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
2018-05-02 18:12:10 UTC
Are there any error messages? Please also try rebooting and / or changing the port number.

________________________________

Stuart Bisset
2018-05-02 19:55:01 UTC
Hi Peter

I am using a VPN (PIA) and when I rebooted the PC and then disabled the
vpn, I was able to get the sync server running (well, I see an IP address
at any rate). Though I still can't actually sync as my android phone won't
connect to the IP address given. I have tried changing the port with no
luck.

Stuart

*Stuart Bisset*
*Director*
*[m]:* 07968 196258
*[e]: ****@insightmodelling.co.uk
*[w]:* www.insightmodelling.co.uk

<http://insightmodelling.co.uk>

Insight Financial Modelling Ltd is a Company registered in Scotland,
Registered number SC371434.
Registered office: Summit House, 4-5 Mitchell Street, Edinburgh, EH6 7BD.
Business correspondence should be addressed to: 2 Marine Terrace, Gullane,
East Lothian, EH31 2AY

This email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you are not the addressee or an intended recipient or have
not agreed with us the terms on which you are receiving this email any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on the contents of this email or its attachments, is at
your own risk, prohibited and may be unlawful, and to the fullest extent
permitted by law Insight Financial Modelling Ltd accepts no responsibility
or liability to you. Please notify
***@insightmodelling.co.uk immediately
by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this
e-mail from your system. When addressed to our clients any opinions or
advice contained in this email or its attachments are subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in the governing Insight Financial Modelling Ltd
client engagement letter.
*Sent:* Wednesday, 2 May 2018 19:12
*To:* mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi I have installed mnemosyne 2.6 on windows 10 and would like to use
this machine as a server and sync to an android phone and a win 10 laptop.
I can't seem to get the sync working though. When I go into...
Settings > Configure Mnemosyne > Servers
...there is a message saying "Sync server is NOT running" in the dialog box.
I have tried to search this user group and online to find answers but
can't seem to find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction
please.
Many Thanks in advance
gid/mnemosyne-proj-users/bb0c3b78-977e-4267-ab62-473e3f95ef5
a%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/bb0c3b78-977e-4267-ab62-473e3f95ef5a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
.
msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/c4735eb4-0e18-41c6-ae87-
e667f780aa9a%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/c4735eb4-0e18-41c6-ae87-e667f780aa9a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
.
msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/25fdf754-6957-46f3-89b9-
c03b15913a9f%40owa.ugent.be
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/25fdf754-6957-46f3-89b9-c03b15913a9f%40owa.ugent.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
2018-05-03 07:33:38 UTC

What error message do you get on your phone? If it’s a time-out like message, there is still something in your network blocking the connection, like e.g. a router. It’s best to try first with both devices on the same network, e.g. your home wifi network.

And of course, double check that the IP address and port you input on your phone match those that are mentioned in the desktop app. For first tests, it’s also safer to leave username and password empty on both devices to avoid mistyping ☺

2018-05-03 07:47:05 UTC
Hi Peter

Thanks, yes, I have tried all of that. The message is indeed a time-out
message as you say. I ensured that I was on the same network. And ensured
the IP address and port were correct. Also tried changing the port.

I'm also using AVG (the full version) - could that be the issue?

Cheers

[...]

Post by Peter Bienstman
Hi,
What error message do you get on your phone? If it’s a time-out like
message, there is still something in your network blocking the connection,
like e.g. a router. It’s best to try first with both devices on the same
network, e.g. your home wifi network.
And of course, double check that the IP address and port you input on your
phone match those that are mentioned in the desktop app. For first tests,
it’s also safer to leave username and password empty on both devices to
avoid mistyping J
googlegroups.com> *On Behalf Of *Stuart Bisset
*Sent:* 02 May 2018 21:55
Hi Peter
I am using a VPN (PIA) and when I rebooted the PC and then disabled the
vpn, I was able to get the sync server running (well, I see an IP address
at any rate). Though I still can't actually sync as my android phone won't
connect to the IP address given. I have tried changing the port with no
luck.
Stuart
.
msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/ee6c60f89fa64432b24202a8db8eb7
fd%40xmail102.UGent.be
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/ee6c60f89fa64432b24202a8db8eb7fd%40xmail102.UGent.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
2018-05-03 07:52:40 UTC
Sure, any type of firewall or router can interfere with the connection, so make sure they are all set up properly.

[e]: ***@insightmodelling.co.uk<mailto:***@insightmodelling.co.uk>
[w]: www.insightmodelling.co.uk<http://www.insightmodelling.co.uk>

Insight Financial Modelling Ltd is a Company registered in Scotland, Registered number SC371434.
Registered office: Summit House, 4-5 Mitchell Street, Edinburgh, EH6 7BD.
Business correspondence should be addressed to: 2 Marine Terrace, Gullane, East Lothian, EH31 2AY

This email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the addressee or an intended recipient or have not agreed with us the terms on which you are receiving this email any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on the contents of this email or its attachments, is at your own risk, prohibited and may be unlawful, and to the fullest extent permitted by law Insight Financial Modelling Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability to you. Please notify ***@insightmodelling.co.uk<mailto:***@insightmodelling.co.uk> immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email or its attachments are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing Insight Financial Modelling Ltd client engagement letter.

Hi,

Stuart Bisset

*Sent:* 03 May 2018 09:47
<https://maps.google.com/?q=5+Mitchell+Street,+Edinburgh,+EH6+7BD&entry=gmail&source=g>
.
<https://maps.google.com/?q=2+Marine+Terrace,+Gullane,+East+Lothian,+EH31+2AY&entry=gmail&source=g>
*Sent:* 02 May 2018 21:55
Hi Peter
I am using a VPN (PIA) and when I rebooted the PC and then disabled the
vpn, I was able to get the sync server running (well, I see an IP address
at any rate). Though I still can't actually sync as my android phone won't
connect to the IP address given. I have tried changing the port with no
luck.
Stuart
.
msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/ee6c60f89fa64432b24202a8db8eb7
fd%40xmail102.UGent.be
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/ee6c60f89fa64432b24202a8db8eb7fd%40xmail102.UGent.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
.
msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/CACOVOimB-H5D3Y0RqJ2YbVnSisxe9tNvYVGJGYH
wgwe0-CKULg%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/CACOVOimB-H5D3Y0RqJ2YbVnSisxe9tNvYVGJGYHwgwe0-CKULg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
.
msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/fb8b0df97c8d48ed83086fdc68e64a
76%40xmail102.UGent.be
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/fb8b0df97c8d48ed83086fdc68e64a76%40xmail102.UGent.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
2018-05-03 09:39:24 UTC
Not really, as it all depends very much on the type of router and firewall, the ports that your ISP blocks when leaving your network, etc

Peter

[http://insightmodelling.co.uk/Wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/logo-v7-thin-strip-lens-flare-green-HiRes-clear-background-200pw.png]<http://insightmodelling.co.uk>

Registered office: Summit House, 4-5 Mitchell Street, Edinburgh, EH6 7BD<https://maps.google.com/?q=5+Mitchell+Street,+Edinburgh,+EH6+7BD&entry=gmail&source=g>.
Business correspondence should be addressed to: 2 Marine Terrace, Gullane, East Lothian, EH31 2AY<https://maps.google.com/?q=2+Marine+Terrace,+Gullane,+East+Lothian,+EH31+2AY&entry=gmail&source=g>

2018-06-06 20:08:37 UTC

I have the same problem, although I did not have it before, I thin it started when my ISP changed my router.

All my settings on mobile app and on desktop app are the same but now I have message "Sync server NOT running".

Is there any solution found for this problem?

Best Regards,

Filip
Post by Peter Bienstman
Not really, as it all depends very much on the type of router and firewall, the ports that your ISP blocks when leaving your network,
etc

Peter

On Behalf Of Stuart Bisset

Sandor Strohmayer
2018-06-06 20:47:34 UTC
I fixed this by opening mneomsyne as administrator

I then exported the cards and created a new database

Sent: 03 May 2018 10:12
[...]
Behalf Of Stuart Bisset
Sent: 03 May 2018 09:47
[...]
both devices to avoid mistyping J